Useful Links

Education and Law Links

The Down’s Syndrome Association have produced a series of factsheets called Education Rights. They include:

  • Young people over 16 with special educational needs and disabilities
  • School Transport
  • Transfer Reviews
  • EHC needs assessments
  • ECH Plans – getting them right

To view and download these free factsheets click here

SEN Code of Practice 2014- The SEN code of practice provides guidance to local authorities, parents, schools and professionals about how to provide for children with SEN (special educational needs).

The Transitional Guidelines – If you are transferring from a statement to an EHCP (Education, health and care plan) then this guidance outlines what should be happening.

Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions – If you child has a medical condition and needs additional support at school but does not have an EHCP then this guidance may help you. It covers areas such as medication, of site school visits and reasonable adjustments.

Education for children with health needs who cannot attend school- If your child is missing school due to health issues this guidance outlines what duty the local authority and school have in ensuring your child receives the right level of education. This includes mental health.

IPSEA Case Law – A great update of case law if you need to look at previous decisions made around provision for children and young people with SEN.

Transport and travel guidance for pupils with SEN – This is the national guidance which all local authorities must follow. This does not stop local authorities having their own policies but this guidance will always take precedence over any local policy.

For further advice we recommend you contact these agencies.

IPSEA offers free and independent legally based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities.

Medway Information and Advice Service.

Medway Independent supporters can help you through the EHCP process.

Kent Information, advice and support service, not including Independent support.

Kent Independent Supporters can support you through the EHCP process.


If you have any additional links you think would be useful or you would like to report an error in one of the links please email or contact us here.