A fantastic opportunity has become available working with young people and young adults with Down’s syndrome in our circle groups.
Circle groups are communication-focused social groups for young people with Down’s syndrome aged 11 to early 20s. Following on from speech and language therapy groups for younger children, these sessions focus on communication, relationships, community and identity, and provide opportunities to:
- Meet up with friends and make new friends,
- Socialise and take part in fun activities with facilitation
- Talk about their lives and what’s on their minds, and offer each other support
- Get support with speech and language skills, including clearer speech, alternative means of communication, vocabulary skills, and social skills and social language.
- Practice skills in making and maintaining relationships, assertion, and self-expression.
The role may also include working within other groups we run with different age ranges. We are looking for a vibrant team member who understands the difficulties faced by our young people whilst enabling them fulfil their potential. Someone to support the group members and the rest of the team in a positive and up beat manner while still being sensitive to the different needs around them.
21 Together are a small team who pride themselves on working well together in a supportive environment. Excellent CPD opportunities are also available.
21 Together is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and we expect all staff to share this commitment
Start Date: September 2019
Interview Date: Before the 5th July. 2nd stage interview on the 6th July.
Pay: £10 per hour
Hours: Every other Saturday (during term time only, approx 21 Saturdays a year), 3 days in the Easter holiday and three days in the Summer break. Plus CPD, training and updates meetings throughout the year.
Close Date: 07/06/2019 at 23:59
Job Base: Maidstone, ME14 1HH.
However, the role requires flexibility and you will be required to travel throughout Kent for specific events. Main sessions currently happen at the Maidstone office.